In February 2016, the Technical Standards & Safety Authority (TSSA) issued new training requirements for what is to be included for specific Record of Training (ROT) categories. In Ontario, TSSA identifies a number of job-specific activities which require a Record of Training certificate issued by a recognized Training Provider.
The new requirements affect a number of training courses and TSSA stipulated that training curriculum used after May 1, 2016 must address the updated requirements. Training courses developed by the Fuels Learning Centre addressing these ROT categories have now been updated to include the new requirements. The following are the ROT categories which have new requirements. Simply click on the ROT category title to view a copy of the new requirements:
- CH-02/CH-01 – Construction Heat – There are two ROT categories related to Construction Heat. CH-02 relates to construction heaters and torches up to 400,000 BTUH while CH-01 refers to construction heaters and torches of any BTHU input.
- PPO-1 – Propane Plant Operator 1 – This ROT category addresses the training requirements for individuals who transfer propane to and from tank cars, cargo liners, tank trucks, filling plants and container refill centres.
- PPO-2 – Propane Plant Operator 2 – This ROT category addresses the training requirements for individuals who transfer propane to and from tank trucks, filling plants and container refill centres.
- PPO-3 – Propane Plant Operator 3 – This ROT category addresses the training requirements for individuals who fill containers, including vehicle tanks, and operate propane transfer equipment in filling plant or container refill centre.
- PTO – Propane Truck Operator – This ROT category addresses the training requirements for individuals who operate a propane tank truck or a vehicle that tows a cargo liner. They may operate propane handling equipment in order to transfer propane to and from tank trucks, cargo liners, filling plants and container refill centres. In addition, these individuals may also fill containers on the premises of end-users and reactivate existing customer’s equipment in accordance with manufacturers lighting instructions in the event of a loss of fuel supply.
- RE-O – Roofing Equipment Operator – This ROT category addresses the training requirements for individuals who may activate and operate propane-fired tar pot heaters of any BTUH imput and connect it to or disconnect it from piping, tubing or a container.
The Fuels Learning Centre applauds the efforts of TSSA to identify the content required to address specific learning outcomes within recognized ROT categories. This assists Training Providers in ensuring consistency and gives employers a level of comfort that their employees will receive similar training regardless of which Training Provider they choose. However, our review of the new requirements has uncovered some concerns which we have subsequently addressed in a communication to TSSA. Click here to download a PDF version of our recommendations to TSSA regarding the new ROT curriculum requirements.